PL EN
The first churches in Warmia and their influence on the development of local roads
 
More details
Hide details
1
Instytut Północny, Polska
CORRESPONDING AUTHOR
Robert Klimek   

Instytut Północny, Partyzantów 87, 10-402, Olsztyn, Polska
Submission date: 2021-08-01
Acceptance date: 2021-08-25
Online publication date: 2021-11-05
Publication date: 2021-11-05
 
KMW 2021;313(3):459–472
 
KEYWORDS
TOPICS
ABSTRACT
In the first part of the publication, an analysis was undertaken of the location of the first churches rebuilt by the Prussians in 1249 in the area of ​​Warmia in the following towns: Jedun, Surimes, Bandadis, Slinia, Wuntenowe, Brusebergue. Then, attention was paid to the development of the parish network in the area of ​​the Warmia. The first church was built in Braniewo in 1280, then a cathedral church was built in Frombork in 1288. The development of the parish network in medieval Warmia also led to the creation of new roads, usually called "church roads". Communication routes were associated with the emergence of new centers where economic or religious life was concentrated. The roads to the church were usually already well-worn routes. However, it should be noted that the establishment of new parishes and the location of new villages was associated with the creation of a communication network, the local center of which was the parish church.
eISSN:2719-8979
ISSN:0023-3196