Attempts to develop Lidzbark castle in the first half of the 19th century
More details
Hide details
Uniwersytet Warmińsko-Mazurski w Olsztynie, Polska
Submission date: 2022-10-26
Acceptance date: 2022-12-06
Online publication date: 2022-12-20
Publication date: 2022-12-20
Corresponding author
Marek Jodkowski   

Uniwersytet Warmińsko-Mazurski w Olsztynie, Olsztyn, Polska
KMW 2022;318(3):362-378
In the first half of the 19th century, the rulers of the Diocese of Warmia tried to convince the state authorities to set aside at least part of the castle complex in Lidzbark Warmiński for a new bishop’s residence. Due to plans to build a new bishop’s palace in Frombork, these intentions were abandoned. The Gothic castle did not seem suitable for rental accommodation or as a residence for a single family. The castle buildings were not suitable either for a prison, a teachers’ seminary or a dormitory for young people. Nor was it possible to adapt the rooms of the Gothic castle for a lunatic asylum or to move the courthouse into it. In 1839, the Zwinger part of the palace was demolished. As for the outbuildings, the west wing of the outer bailey was then used as a salt storehouse. Apart from its eastern wing, the best kept, occupied by the court and the Diocese of Warmia, other parts of the complex remained undeveloped until the second half of the 19th century.
Journals System - logo
Scroll to top