PL EN
Bezławki versus Święta Lipka, concerning the building of a rural house for the confirmed on the border of historical Warmia in the 19th century .
 
More details
Hide details
1
Uniwersytet Warmińsko-Mazurski w Olsztynie
CORRESPONDING AUTHOR
Marek Jodkowski   

ksmarek@wp.pl
Online publication date: 2017-04-04
Publication date: 2017-04-05
 
KMW 2017;295(1):79–94
 
KEYWORDS
TOPICS
ABSTRACT
In 1855 Fr. Otto Hartmann Dobgan took the initiative of establishing a house for the confirmed in Bezławki. In his view, such a centre would counterbalance the proselytism of the Catholic priests in Święta Lipka. They took the children from poor Evangelical families who were then preparing for their First Holy Communion. A small house in Bezławki, intended for the confirmed, was purchased on 1 October, 1856. It was designated for use a month later. At first, eight pupils lived there free of charge while preparing for their confirmation. A decision was quickly made to build a new facility. The dedication of the foundational stone was scheduled for 19 April, 1857. In October of that year the work was completed. The consecration of the building took place on 26 June, 1858. This investment was supported by evangelical organizations, especially the Gustavus Adolphus Union, who co-funded the activities of the house. Its caretakers included the Schwarz family, the teacher of Thal and Haases. The centre survived until World War II
eISSN:2719-8979
ISSN:0023-3196